Have you ever felt like you were starving just two hours after eating dinner? Well, your body may have been trying to tell you something—you were thirsty.
It’s easy to confuse dehydration with actual hunger, but the common mistake could end up costing you—in calories.
One great rule of thumb to remember each time you think you’re hungry is to drink two glasses of water before eating anything.
If you feel like your stomach needs a little extra boost to stay full longer, here are 5 incredible drinks that can help suppress your appetite:
- Green Tea: Caffeine is a natural appetite suppressant, but green tea contains the added bonus of catechins—powerful antioxidants that have been shown to inhibit the movement of glucose into fat cells. A cup of warm green tea can help slow the rise of blood sugar—and subsequent fat storage. As long as your blood sugar remains stable, your stomach will stop pestering you to feed it more snacks!
- Coffee: Because caffeine works as a natural appetite suppressant, drinking a moderate amount of coffee will help you feel full. In fact, downing two cups of Joe a day can boost your metabolism and power your body with steady energy. Just don’t cancel out coffee’s healthy benefits by loading up on cream and sugar! While caffeine can help you feel alert and energetic, drinking too much will cause you to get jittery, nervous, and queasy—so make sure to cut yourself off after two cups in the morning.
- Skim Milk: Every lady knows just how powerful a chocolate craving can feel around that time of the month. Well, good news—it’s not just in your head! Women tend to crave processed carbs and unhealthy junk food about a week or two before menstruation. But recent studies show that consuming at least one serving of dairy a day about two weeks before menstruation can significantly reduce those annoying cravings.
- Whey Protein: All protein helps keep you full and focused, but you may not always have the time to scramble a few eggs on the go. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to have your protein and drink it too! New research shows that people who have a liquid meal with whey protein actually consume significantly fewer calories during their next meal. Feel free to add a scoop of this filling protein powder to your next smoothie or shake!
- Vegetable Juice: A diet rich in veggies is sure to slim you down in no time. But it’s tough to actually eat all the vegetables you need to stay healthy. Packed with fiber, veggies have a way of filling you up fast. Many studies show that drinking a glass of vegetable juice before a meal will help you consume fewer calories later. The best way to drink your veggies and stay slim is through a juicer. Leafy greens, like kale and spinach, are especially filling and diet-friendly. But if you don’t want to spend the extra cash on a pricey juicer, there are plenty of pre-made options to choose from. Just make sure to buy a bottle of vegetable juice that’s low in sodium!
Do you have any tips for curbing your appetite? If so, tell us in the comments!
Photo Copyright © 2015 Joel Burslem/Flickr