For most dieters, a bad snack or two can quickly undo an entire week’s worth of healthy eating.
Whether you give in to your overwhelming salt craving or the urge to inhale three candy bars in two minutes, we all have our weaknesses.
It’s hard to stick to a healthy diet when you’re constantly hungry—and let’s be honest, most of us are!
So, when it’s 10 a.m. and you still have two more hours until lunch, you need something to hold you over.
The problem is that any so-called “healthy” snacks you’ve packed probably aren’t going to have much of an effect on your uncontrollable hunger pangs.
Instead of nibbling on a handful of crackers for your mid-morning snack, give your body something healthy and filling to keep you going until lunch.
Here are 7 of the healthiest, most filling low-calorie snacks you can eat:
- One hard-boiled egg with pepper: Just one egg is the perfect protein-packed snack to give you the morning energy boost you need right now. Add a little pepper or paprika to give your healthy snack an extra flavor kick!
- Two slices of lean ham with light cream cheese: Skip the bread and try this delicious snack instead! Just a couple slices of ham and a tiny bit of light cream cheese is the perfect mid-morning protein snack to keep you going.
- Sliced cucumber with goat cheese: Even if you absolutely love cucumber, this water-dense veggie isn’t exactly filled with flavor on its own. Try adding about two small slices of goat cheese to give this healthy snack a kick of flavor.
- Cottage cheese and blueberries: Cottage cheese is truly one of the most diet-friendly snacks you can eat, but it’s also pretty bland. Adding a handful of blueberries not only sweetens your morning snack, but also gives it a healthy boost of vitamins and minerals.
- Watermelon and reduced-fat feta: While it seems like a strange combination at first, the subtle salty taste of feta cheese blends perfectly with sweet watermelon.
- Celery and hummus: Packed with fiber, you really can’t go wrong with celery and hummus. The combination may be low in calories, but not in flavor! Try to stick with original hummus to make sure you’re not choosing one with too many added ingredients.
- Carrots with Greek yogurt and ranch mix: Nothing tastes quite as good as carrots with ranch dressing, but the ranch pretty much cancels out any health benefits of the carrots. You can tweak this fan favorite by adding just one teaspoon of ranch mix into a cup of plain Greek yogurt. The taste is almost exactly like ranch dressing—with a fraction of the fat!
Do you have any filling snacks to add to the list? Tell us in the comments!
Photo Copyright © 2009 Tenaya Darlington/Flickr