A mom has written an emotional piece describing the exact moment she almost lost her baby in hopes of raising awareness about deadly allergies.
Jenny Taylor had no idea that a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich would be the one thing that changed her life forever.
In an essay titled “The Day You Died in My Arms,” Taylor goes into great detail to describe what happened the first time she ever gave her son a tiny square of her PB&J.
“It’s a sound most babies make while weaning and learning to control their gag reflexes. But it only lasted a second and you [her son] started coughing, gasping, your eyes rolled in the back of your head,” she wrote.
While speaking with Independent Journal Review, Taylor admits that she had no idea her son was suffering an allergic reaction, but she knew something was very wrong when he began vomiting.
In a split-second, Taylor, her husband, and their baby boy were in the car, rushing to the hospital.
“A doctor to the right of me, moved faster than I had ever seen anyone move and gave you a shot that made you gasp and me cry out in relief,” she recalled. “My baby was alive.”
In the next few days, Taylor and her husband would learn that their son was deathly allergic to nuts and eggs.
Although the little boy made it through, Taylor had a difficult time coming to terms with the day she almost lost her son.
“I didn’t leave the house for the first six weeks,” she told Independent Journal Review. “I didn’t know how to protect him outside our home.”
These days, she feels a lot more confident in her son’s health, but Taylor hopes that telling her family’s story will help others understand why some parents have to take their children’s allergies so seriously.
“Please don’t think we are trying to take the right away from any child to eat what they want, and when they want,” she said.