Alysha Witwicki from “She’s on the Run”
What motivated you to
start your blog, “She’s on the Run? How did you come up with the name?
There are several reasons I started my blog, She’s on the
Run. First of all, I’ve been reading healthy living and food blogs for years.
I’ve always had a love of food since I was a child, but I always thought it was
a negative thing until I found the blog community. I think this ties into our
society’s pressures to be thin and how it’s not favorable to want food (or at
least think about it a lot, which I always did). Blogging gave me a way to
express this interest I’ve always had and connect with others in a meaningful
As an advertising copywriter and freelance food writer, a
blog is also a great portfolio piece to show how I write and house my published
clips. It’s something I actually put on my resume because it shows my ability
to market a brand and use social media (which is essential in the advertising
and publishing industries).
The name for my blog, “She’s on the Run,” has a double
meaning. I’m an avid runner (training for my third half marathon) and I’m
constantly on the go. I remember telling a friend my blog name before I started
it and she thought I meant I was a bandit!
What advice do you
have for people who want to eat healthy, but don’t have a lot of time?
This is much easier said than done. I firmly believe that
planning ahead and being organized is your biggest weapon. Every Sunday I read
the newspaper and scour the ads. I look at what healthy foods are on sale for
the week, make a list and clip coupons. I think many people fall into an
unhealthy eating trap when they are starving and there’s nothing but junk food
around — of course you’re going to eat what is nearest to you.
I’m also a big believer in carrying healthy snacks wherever
you go (to also prevent the above scenario). At work, I keep popcorn, nuts and
granola bars at my desk so I don’t need to head downstairs to the candy and
chip-filled vending machine. I’ve also been known to throw an apple in my bag
before heading to the movie theater or make my own trail mix before long car
rides. Eating healthy does not have to take a ton of time; you just need to
plan ahead when you do have more
What are some of
your favorite healthy meals to make, and why?
One of my favorites is what I call a “Cleaning
out the Fridge Pasta Salad.” This is not only healthy, it’s super easy too.
Use whole-wheat pasta as your base and throw in whatever you have in your
fridge that needs to be used up. I love adding edamame, shredded carrots, diced
olives, diced tomatoes and cucumbers and some low-fat ranch salad dressing. I
love this because it’s totally customizable and one batch will leave you with
leftovers for days (totally time-saving).
I also love Mexican, which can be made as healthy as you
want it to be. Black
Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce and Tamale Pie are two of my
Do you have any
workouts you prefer to practice on a consistent basis in order to stay fit? How
do you stay motivated to be fit?
Although running a half marathon is not for everyone,
signing up for a big race really motivates me. I initially signed up for one
because I was getting bored with my workout routine (nothing like a 13.1 mile
race to spice things up!). I follow Hal Higdon’s training plan which gives me
workouts to complete, such as strength training and stretching or a long run. This
year I really want to break 2 hours, so that keeps me on track to stick with my
To maintain general fitness, I’m a big believer in taking
workout classes at a gym. Some of my favorites are kickboxing, BodyPump, yoga
and pilates. Heading to a class takes the thinking out of what to do next
because a teacher tells you. I also think working out with other people is
What does “eating
well” mean to you?
Eating well means different things to different people. For
me, it’s not about sticking to a certain diet or only shopping at health food
stores. It’s about enjoying food, adding as many fruits
and vegetables as I can to my diet and maintaining portion control. And trust
me, it’s a work in progress. It’s much easier for me to add healthy foods to my
diet (quinoa, Greek yogurt, etc.) than it is to say no to some after-dinner
chocolate. Like I said, a work in progress.
For more from Alysha, visit her blog, http://shesontherun.com/, and follow her on Facebook, and Pinterest!
- Nutrition Specialist, Fitness Instructor, and New Mom, Caitlin Dunlevy from "02befitmom"
- Blogger, Sarah Keil from “The Pajama Chef”
- Getting Back On Track after the Holidays
- 4 Simple Weight Loss Resolutions
- How Organization Can Lead to Better Health
- How You Sit Can Protect You From Injury
- Christine Yu from “Love Life Surf”
- The Unhealthiest “Healthy Foods”
- Professional Health Coach, Andrea Ratulowski from “Food Embrace”
- How to Keep a Kitchen Clean and Healthy
- Surprising Tips for Weight Loss
- Madeline Glasser from “Food, Fitness, and Family”
- How to Cheat on your Diet and Still Lose Weight
- 4 Ways to Alleviate Stress
- Protect Yourself from Foodborne Illness
- Certified Personal Trainer, Courtney Moore from “Petite Athleat”
- Putting Myths About Sleep to Bed
- Lifting Weights: Increase Muscle Strength, Not Bulk
- Blogger, Katie Unger from “Yes I Want Cake”
- Protect Your Knees with PEP
- The Best and Worst Breakfast of Them All
- Everything You Need to Know about Leg Cramps
- Energy Drinks: Less Health Benefits Than You Think
- Food Blogger, Rachel Nobrega from, “Reckless Abandon”
- Acai Berries: Antioxidant Powerhouse?
- Why You Should Start a Food Journal
- Foods that are Surprisingly High in Sodium
- Presley S. from the blog, “Run Pretty”
- Mindfulness: Staying in the Present May Have Health Benefits
- Step Your Exercise Up with a Pedometer
- Snack Foods Under 50 Calories
- After the Deluge, Safe Food and Water
- Registered Dietitian, Erin Coates from "The Healthy Apron"
- Holly from, "The Healthy Everythingtarian"
- Fall Got You Down? Boost Your Omega-3s
- 3 Ways to Prevent Fitness Fatigue
- Light Box Therapy Relieves Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD
- Nutritionist, Emily Dingmann from “A Nutritionist Eats”
- Treating and Preventing Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Seasonal Affective Disorder May Respond to Exercise
- Katie Farrell from "Dashing Dish"
- Tricks To Energize your Mornings
- Mood Boosting Foods
- Protect Your Vision and Eye Health
- Marathon Runner, Karen Seal from “Just Me & My Running Shoes”
- Reap Your Health Harvest This Autumn
- Cookbook Author, Stephanie Stiavetti from "The Culinary Life"
- Should You Take Multivitamins?
- 3 Things You Should Never Do to Lose Weight
- Health Blogger, Nicole from "Apples and Arteries"
- Your Eyes Tell Your Health Story
- Work Around Autumn Allergies For Your Workouts
- Running Coach, Jessica Hofheimer's "Pace of Me" Blog
- Eco-friendly Grocery Totes Linked to Foodborne Illnesses
- How to Choose the Right Gym
- Fall Into Autumn Workouts
- Sugarfree Alex from Health Blog, "Spoonful of Sugar Free"
- What Can Protein Powder Do For You?
- Blogger, Kelly Davis from "Foodie Fresh"
- Why the Elliptical Machine is a Great Workout
- Why You Should Ride A Stationary Bike
- Certified Yoga Instructor, Whitney Olson from "Live Run Love Yoga"
- 3 Amazing Perks of Oatmeal
- Improve Your Health, Quit Sitting Around
- Erica Lukes from "For the Sake of Cake"
- Gain New Perspective of your Body with Pilates
- Eye-Healthy Nutrition – Which 3 Foods Help
- Certified Health Coach, Brittney from "Brittney Breathing"
- Burn More Calories with Strength Training
- Work Out Against Osteoporosis
- Susan Lacke, writer for "No Meat Athlete"
- The Dangers of Diet Soda
- How Losing 10lbs Improves Memory
- Yes, You Can be Pregnant and Fit
- Fitness Trainer, Lindsey LeGrande from “Lifestyle by Lindsey”
- Why You Should Eat Tomatoes
- Climb Your Way to Fitness
- Blogger, Amanda Maguire from "Pickles & Honey"
- Study: Shorter, More Vigorous Workouts Are Healthier
- How Yoga Keeps Your Mind Strong and Your Mood Up
- Exercising with Type 2 Diabetes
- Marathon Runner, Heather Montgomery from "Running with Sass"
- The Truth about Caffeine
- Sun Torke from “Eat. Host. Run. Style.”
- 4 Fundamental Foods for Runners
- Alysha Witwicki from “She’s on the Run”
- Don't Let a Wheelchair Deprive You of Fitness
- Report Reveals Americans Waste Over $2k on Food per Year
- Health Blogger, Jocelyn Steiber from "Peace Love Nutrition"
- 3 Bad Habits Making You Fatter
- How to Boost Your Metabolism
- Detect Diseases with Your Hands
- Health Blogger, Caitlin Boyle from "Healthy Tipping Point"
- Food Blogger, Jess Thomson from “Hogwash”
- Drink Green Tea and Hit the Health Jackpot
- How to Overcome Weight-Loss Plateaus
- Glenneth Reed's Health Blog, "Let's Talk and Walk"
- Stretching Misconceptions
- The Health Benefits of Nature's Sugar
- Climb Your Mountain Indoors
- Suspension Training: Intensive Workout Anywhere
- Build a Glow with Self-Tanner
- The Meaning Behind Hunger Pains
- Allison Smith - Accessible Backyard. Vote for her!
- Teri Zawrotny from “A Foodie Stays Fit”
- Olympic-Inspired Workouts
- Try Rebounding! A Fun and Healthy Exercise
- Olympic Women's Gymnastics Have a Great History
- Don't Let Chlorine in Pools Damage Your Hair and Skin
- Get Slim, Get Healthy: Beat Metabolic Syndrome While You're At It
- Protect Your Electrolyte Balance in the Summer Heat
- Health and Fitness Blogger Tori from FITori
- Shiatsu Massage: Finger Pressure Brings Increased Health
- Is Your Child's Activity Right For Them?
- How Do You Get Your Child To Love Being Active?
- What Can I Expect When I Go For A Massage?
- The Benefits of Sports Massage
- Meredith:Triathlete & Author of "Triathlon for the Every Woman"
- Slow Down As Temperatures Spiral Up
- Personal Trainer and Healthy Living Blogger Jillian from "The Sprinkle Massacre"
- Don't Let Food Poisoning Spoil Your Summer Picnic
- Avoid Back Pain on a Recumbent Bike
- Avoid Heat Stroke and Stay Hydrated!
- Personal Trainer and Stanford University Softball Alum Jess Allen
- Lindsay from The Lean Green Bean
- How to Keep It Cool When Running in the Heat
- Healthy Tips, Recipes, and More with Janetha from "meals & moves"
- What to Bring When You Go Backpacking
- Make Your Bike The Right Fit and Go For a Spin
- Fit Foodie Caitlin Croswell from Cait Plus Ate
- Baseball Gear That Fits Like a Glove: A Woman's Glove
- Women of Baseball: Did You Know?
- Running Towards a Healthier You
- Healthy Eating with Anne from Fannetastic Food
- Get Your Kids Moving With Help From Technology
- Inject Some Sun and Fun Into Workouts At the Beach
- Surf's Up: What's Your Ride?
- PMS Symptoms Are No Joke
- Going to the Dogs: The Key to Regular Exercise
- Rosemary-Roasted Chickpea Salad
- Clean Eating Author and Blogger Tiffany McCauley
- Personal Trainer and Blogger Courtney Horan From Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life
- Living the Good Life with Katie Gagliano from Healthy Diva Eats
- Run Like a Girl: Lozilu Women's Mud Run
- Environmental Working Group Issues 2012 Sunscreen Guide
- Tennis Racquets: What's the Difference?
- Almond Butter Granola
- Healthy Living and Vegan Eats with Heather Waxman
- Getting the Most Out of Your Workouts: Optimal Performance Training
- Get On That Water And Ski!
- Certified Personal Trainer Hope Nagy
- Looking for Some Motivation? Read About Katie's Amazing Weight Loss Transformation!
- Julie Fagan from Peanut Butter Fingers
- Founder of She Rocks Fitness Katie Uhran
- Picking the Right Sunglasses to Protect Your Sight
- Don't be Afraid to Come Out of the Water This Summer
- Healthy Banana Peanut Butter Ice Cream from The Beauty Bean
- Bikini Competitor and Fitness Blogger Kasey Arena
- Emancipation of Women From the Skin Out: Evolution of Action Wear
- Female Athlete Triad Has No Winners
- Monika from Fit Foodies Healthy Life
- How To Stop Your Sweet Tooth
- Women on the Run at the Boston Marathon
- Health and Fitness Blogger Danielle Wolfe from "Eat, Sweat, Smile"
- How to Get Fit This Summer
- Don't Fear the Summer
- Personal Trainer, TV Host, and Fitness Model Carissa Bealert
- Reducing Muscle Pain From Workouts
- Journaling Your Thoughts And Your Food For Health
- Beginners Learn To Run
- Personal Trainer and Owner of Best Body Fitness Tina Reale
- Biggest Loser Season 11 Winners Olivia Ward and Hannah Curlee
- Bess Harrington of Bess Be Fit
- Mama Laughlin: Runner, Blogger, and Super Mom!
- Do Yourself a Favor: Get Active for 10 Minutes a Day!
- Should You Get a Heart Rate Monitor?
- Do You Need a Personal Fitness Trainer?
- Blogger and Celebricizer The Skinny Runner
- Spinning Bike or Stationary Bike: What's the Difference?
- Taking A Spin To Greater Fitness
- Walk Away From Depression
- Health Coach and Fitting It All In Blogger Clare Brady
- Belly Dancing: Ancient Fertility Rite Now A Great Workout
- Exercise Away The Baby Weight
- Healthy Living Blogger Meghann Anderson from "Meals and Miles"
- Founder of The Beauty Bean Alexis Wolfer
- Monica Olivas of "Run, Eat, Repeat"
- Branches Of Yoga Increase Flexibility, Strength, and Mood
- Row Your Way To Fitness
- Frisbee Plus Golf Equals ... Disc Golf?
- Inline Skating: Enjoy Life on Tiny Wheels
- The Hungry Runner Girl Janae Jacobs
- Going Hiking? Dressing From the Feet Up
- Next Time Someone Tells You to Take a Hike ...
- Women, Athletics and ACL Tears
- Recognizing Concussion in Female Athletes
- Common Sports Injuries And How to Protect Yourself
- Jumping For Fitness
- Weight Lifting Gloves Make Your Workout Safer, Easier
- Sciatica: How To Ease the Pain
- For an Increased Sense of Security, Try A Sports Bra
- Ankle Weights Can Add Oomph To Your Workouts
- Katie Cooper from "Keeping Up With Katie"
- Spot Reduction: There Are Better Ways To Waste Your Time
- Cradling Your Feet Pays Off
- Healthy Posture Means a Healthier Body
- Women's Achilles Heels are in Their Upper Arms
- Fit Bottomed Girls' Jennipher Walters
- Keeping Fit In Your Fifties
- Keeping Fit In Your Forties
- Integrative Manual Therapy: Bodywork For the Whole Body
- Tennis Elbow, On and Off The Court
- Tennis: What a Racquet!
- The Golfer as an Athlete
- Exercise Can Benefit The Asthmatic
- Scar Tissue And The Inflammatory Process In Healing
- Sports Injuries Eased By TENS and Ultrasound
- Pulled Muscles: Minimize the Pain, Maximize the Healing
- Tapering Your Workouts Can Maintain Your Level of Fitness
- Approaching Exercise Safely After An Injury
- Overtraining Syndrome: How To Recognize It, Avoid It, Overcome It
- Exercising Without Injury
- Staying Fit In Your Thirties
- Staying Fit in Your Twenties
- Body Mass Index: One of Several Indicators of Weight Related Issues
- Medicine Balls: Powerful Workout in a Small Package
- Aerobics: Strengthen Your Heart, Body, and Mind
- Tai Chi: Not Just For Seniors
- Love Water, Love Yourself
- Vegetarianism as a Dietary Choice
- Women and Kickboxing: Getting Aggressive, Getting Fit
- Eating a Healthy Breakfast: Fuel for the Day
- Organic Food: What It Is, and What It Isn't
- Resistance Training With Dumbbells
- Elevating Your Mood Naturally
- Ring In Some New Workouts With Kettlebells
- Get In The Swim With Water Workouts
- Bikram Yoga: Heating Up Your Workouts
- Protein Drinks: Shake 'Em And Go
- Workout: Pilates
- Women And Strength Training: A Perfect Match
- CrossFit for Women: Working Out Like a Girl
- Dancing Your Way To Fitness
- The Quest For Fitness: Braving the Winter Wonderland
- Winter Fitness: Working Out Inside
- Water Workouts: Exercise and Protect Your Muscles At the Same Time
- What's at Your Core: The Benefits of Core Training
- Strength Training May Reduce Many Signs Of Aging
- Health Trends For 2012
- Tips on Staying Fit at the Office
- How to Maximize Fat Burn
- How to Shrink Your Body and Stay Lean
- The Best Way to Burn Your Butt Fat
- Why Some Women Transform Their Bodies and Some Don’t
- Free Weights Are Not Required to Build Muscle, Burn Fat
- 15 Minute Workouts: All the Time You Need According to New Study
- Back to Basics Workouts
- P90X Workout Schedule
- P90X Workout: A Revolutionary Home Fitness Program
- Healthy Recipe: Saffron Orzo
- Quinoa, Corn, and Tomato Salad with Chive-Infused Oil
- Healthy Recipe: One Dish Poached Halibut and Vegetables
- Healthy Recipe: Easy Pesto Salmon
- Healthy Recipe: Baby Spinach Salad with Candied Hazelnuts
- Wellness: We May Not Be Able To Define It But We Know It When We See It
- The Benefits of Kefir
- Gluten-Free For Celiacs and the Gluten-Intolerant: Amaranth
- Garlic May Offer Healing Properties
- Celiac Sufferers and the Gluten Intolerant Rejoice for Buck Wheat
- 5 Easy Ways to Stay on Track This Holiday Season
- Why You Should Add Interval Training to Your Workout Routine
- How to Make Healthy Goals and Keep Them
- Maintaining Your Health and Fitness Goals While On Vacation
- Seven ways to get—and keep—the motivation to exercise regularly
- How to Identify Organic Food
- Ten Super Foods to Add to Your Diet
- Four Top Reasons Why Exercise is Important for Aging
- Six Essential Vitamins & Minerals for Women’s Health
- Ten Easy Fitness Tips